- What is EPAT®? Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Treatment (EPAT®) is the most advanced and highly effective non-invasive treatment method approved by the FDA. This proprietary technology is based on a unique set of pressure waves that stimulate the metabolism, enhance blood circulation and accelerate the healing process. Damaged tissue gradually regeneratesand eventually heals. This non-invasive office/clinic based procedure represents a breakthrough treatment option for a broad range of musculoskeletal conditions.
- What disorders can be treated? Generally, acute or chronic muscle pain and/or tendon insertional pain that significantly impairs mobility or quality of life.
What are the possible side effects/complications? The non-invasive EPAT® treatment has virtually no risks or side effects. In some cases patients may experience some minor discomfort which maycontinue for a few days. It is normal to have some residual pain after intense exercise or a full-day of work.
- What are the expected results? The beneficial effects of Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Treatment (EPAT®) are often experienced after only 3 treatments. Some patients report immediate pain relief after the treatment, although it can take up to four weeks for pain relief to begin. The procedure eliminates pain and restores full mobility, thus improving your quality of life. Over 80% of patients treated report to be pain free and/or have significant pain reduction.
- Is it safe? Yes. This FDA approved technology was developed in Europe and is currently used around the globe. A wealth of medical experience, state-of-theart engineering and optimal quality have been built into each EPAT® device, and extensive clinical studies and tests have confirmed its safety and efficacy. If performed by a qualified caregiver Extracorporeal Pulse Activation treatment (EPAT®) has virtually no risks or side effects.
- What is the duration of the treatment and how many treatments will I need? Treatment sessions take approximately 15 minutes depending on the disorder to be treated. Generally, 3 treatment sessions are necessary at weekly intervals.
- What will happen after the treatment? You will receive post-treatment instructions from Dr. Kugler to follow during your recovery.
- How is the treatment perfromed? Coupling gel is applied to the treatment area of interest to enhance effectiveness. After these preparations, EPAT® pressure waves are released via the applicator moved over the area of interest in a circular motion.
- Elective Payment and Insurance. Insurance does not cover the EPAT® procedure however, the Elective Payment option allows you to have all the benefits of an EPAT® procedure at a very affordable price. Often there can be a significant savings to you through the Elective Payment option as compared to paying deductibles, multiple co-pays, and other non-insurance covered expenses as you attempt several months of conservative treatments, surgery, post-operative surgical care and rehabilitation. This non-invasive option will be particularly appealing to those patients who are eager return to work or normal activities in only a few days with just as good if not better clinical results compared to traditional treatment methods including surgery.
- How much does it cost? For most patients, the Elective Payment out-of-pocket costs are much less than you would expect. Your physician can provide a personalized pricing program. Some patients can use their employer’s “Flexible Payment Medical Savings Account” to cover these out-of-pocket expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- How can I get more information? Please contact our office at 703.858.7887 if you have any questions.